Thursday, 29 December 2011

Derby in everyday life

Being introduced to the world of Roller Derby is a little bit like being brain washed. Ever so slowly you find you start to think differently and react to things in a slightly non-convenital way.
I find now can do things I wouldn't really dare to do before. The first time I realised this was about three months in to my training. I had made it in to League practices from the newbie session when I had to take a short break to part-take in a festival.

Firstly, it was nice that I was able to carry a little more from the car park on the pain staking journey to the campsite as my fitness levels had improved.

Secondly, and possibly most importantly - I found moving around crowds much easier - for me that is, I can't speak for those around me! No longer did I wait for a decent amount of space to become available before I made an advance into the mass of people before me - Oh no! Now I'd learnt the art of slipping through a small gap to gain those all important points and the swift shoulder and hip checks needed to clear space for my Jammer - All bets were off!
Of course only being in training for a mere 3 months this may not be as elegant as I may be portraying it to be and it is definitely not something I would have attempted were beverages in play (that's for next year).

Thirdly, and maybe finally for the time being, I would have to mention how working as a pack also makes a vast improvement (and adds many giggles) to nights out with other Roller Girls. Many a time has a gaggle of us been out together and the inevitable happens - someone drops something/someone has to sort a shoe out/sees something shiny or generally falls behind you can always catch the cry from the first person who notices and chooses to fall to behind stretching sideways skipping along yelling 'Bridging BR...II...DG....ING!!" much to the bemusement of passers-by.

No comments: