So Halloween 2011 is over, I had an awesome time this year. Got loads of Scare Attractions in.Alton Towers Scarefest
Scare Kingdom
Bunker 13
Farmaggedon
Fright Water Valley
Lots of new wonderful concepts being tried out, some worked for me, some didn't and some are a little controversial I think.
#WINNING
After many years of debating how I could balance my 'proper job' and also get back to some performance work, I was fortunate enough to manage it this year, albeit briefly. The wonderful people at Scare Kingdom offered me a part to play - actually on Halloween night which was fantastic! I had booked the day off at the Station and at Zen several months ago but with Paul unable to book the day off I was kind of stuck deciding what to do, then a trip to Scare Kingdom for a review on Sunday night presented me with the ideal solution.
I had so much fun. It took me a few groups to figure out the part properly but I think after the first few I was definitely on a roll (at least I hope I was).
At first I chose to attempt a roar to try and scare my audience (as this was a suggestion when I was given a quick run through) and then telling them which way to go when they didn't move at my attemped roar. I found this didn't really work when I tried it (not having the gruffest of voices). I found it was easier to scare people staying silent, especially as they didn't quite know what or who you are. I was a hooded/masked character with no human features showing so I think me giving it a human voice didn't work (as I say, it would have done if I had a better roar lol).
I found creeping round and stalking them worked better, if it didn't get a scream it definately made most feel uneasy. Those that found 'something that didn't make a noise' not frightening, I gave them a little scare on their way round - making use of a cut through in the maze I was situated in to jump out at the front of the group and as it was dark I could usually get the ones at the back too who hadn't seen me on the first attempt.
I would say I probably got a scream 90% of the time and made them jump 99% (as I can't make any guarantees).
It was a fun part to play, and it makes me remember the good times I had as a performer and of course has stoked the fire and rekindled the yearning that I have tried so hard to surpress. The same yearning I get when I see a Musical, I know it's silly but it does make me sad inside everyday knowing what is out there and that I'm sat in a call centre answer the phone. I always said at School I would never be the one to be sat at an office desk wondering 'what if' and I sadly find myself playing that part on a daily basis.
Still, I know now in some way it is possible to have the best of both worlds potentially. Plan next year, book the whole of October off and audition for some scare attractions - Scare Kingdom of course being number one.
No comments:
Post a Comment