Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Blackpool Dungeon



Being given the back story of the Pendle Witches I was quite excited about going to the Blackpool Dungeons, that and also the fact that I can tick this one off my list along with Edinburgh and York.
Outside was a person in costume outside freely talking to an employee of another shop, this made me a little sad as I always love to see the characters surprise their unsuspecting victims.
We paid and were let into a dark room and told not to go on the stage. At this point there were about 6 of us in the room. We waited a long time until there was any action, the first form was from the people outside pushing more punters into the room.

The Jester finally arrived in a fantastic burst of energy and gained screams from the people at the front. He started his piece which was intermittently interrupted by the people on the outside trying to get more punters to squeeze into the room. He did a good job keeping the momentum going considering the mood was continually being broken.
A good effect was used to change the scenery for the group and we were lead to another room where the story beings. I took a cautious look around whilst the programmed character at the front spun us a tale but as I was right at the back of a large group I missed the only surprise that was waiting for us in that room.

The more dungeons I visit the more I think ‘seen one, seen them all’, the scenes are the same and the story progresses in the same way. I did however, like the added quirk in the surgery room but that was about the only thing that took me by surprise.
The ending of the smugglers scene showed a wonderful use of sound and light (or lack there of). I was just a little confused about the lead up to it and was quite unsure why the actress was asking us to repeat random words.

There was a point where we were queued to enter a room and characters kept passing us every now and again faining a quick noise to make us jump. Noticing the light coming from the door they going in and out of and a glimpse of what I think was vending machine I suspect we were in the path of their break room which kind of landed me in reality a little.
Picture from Tower Times


Towards the end of the route we finally got to a place which started to tell the tale of the Pendle Witches, a short scene and a good use of video - but to be fair I can’t think of any other option there. The scene (background) itself was a little empty, it could’ve used a little more sound or movement to keep people on their toes a bit. Again the end scene was ruined by the entrance and exit (several times) of the same member of staff who was pushing people more people in to the first scene.
I enjoyed the drop ride and liked the scene that played out at the top, a good lead up for you to meet your doom!

Overall a nice experience and glad to have ‘ticked’ Blackpool off my list but was expecting so much more from something with such a built up reputation.

No comments: